Thursday, April 7, 2011

Review: Shashbox Set

I don't own many Smashbox products so I did't know much about the quality of their products. I purchased the Smashbox Style Files Set at Sephora and the price was $59. My first impression was WOW, what a great combination of items and colors. The eyeshadows are really pretty, as well as the glosses and blushes. I also like the fact that eyeshadows, eyeliners, lips and cheeks had their own separate box so of you only wanted to use the shadows, you didn't need to take the whole package. After over a month of using these products, I can give you a better description of the quality of every item. Let me start with the shadows. Six out of the eight shadows have a decent pay off. I have to admit they are very soft and butery, but not necesarily super pigmented. They are more in the sheer side. I do love the color selection, specially the purples. The grey shadow is comparable to Coperplate by MAC and the light beige looks like Vanilla, also by MAC. The only two shadows that have poor pigmentation or a lot of glitter fall out are the peachy shade and the frosty lilac one. Overall, I am happy with them.
The cream eyeliners are ok. I found myself using them more as a base for my eyeshadows than wearing them as actual liners. The silver and the dark purple are my favorites. They do crease, so I had to use a primer underneath them. The pencil eyeliners were much better. They are very creamy, I would compare them to the Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners.
The best part of this set are the lips and cheek products. The coral blush is a dream! I haven't found anything like it so far. I love the color, the texture and how easy it blends into my skin. It is matte, it lasts longer than any other powder blush I have and what you see in the pan is what you get on your cheeks. It is simply perfection. The shimmery blush is also very pretty. I would compare it to Madly by NARS but more shimmery. Again, same quality than the peachy blush. The lipglosses are also beautiful. What I love the most about them is that they are not sticky at all. They feel very smooth on the lips and they are moisturizing. One thing I did't like about the set is that all the items don't have names. I don't even think they make this shades individually, which is so sad because the blush could easily be a best seller!  I think the set could have been better if the shadows were more pigmented, but that is just personal preference. They do work well for daytime looks. In general, I like this set. I think it's a nice way to try a little bit of everything in the Smashbox line. You also get a little book with different looks you can achieve with these products, so it's a nice way to introduce Smashbox products in my collection.

Final Score: B+


0 comments:

Post a Comment